Monday, September 23, 2013

State of the Artist 9/23/2013

View halloo, all!

Yet *another* soggy Monday here on Planet Kit... I swear, there *have* been a handful of sunny days between last Monday and today, really! I know that July-September is the rainy season in south Florida, but this has just been nuts....

But, it's Monday, and so, it's time for a new State of the Artist update!



Weekly Words

He who builds walls to create exclusion for others builds walls across his own freedom.
- Rabindranath Tagore, 1861 - 1941



Current Project

I am DONE with the first set of characters for the Comic Nouveau Project as it has come to be called. Yay! *much Muppet-flailing*

* * *

TOP LEFT: Batman. I went with a cool-toned background of the Batcave, layering tones to create the illusion of depth, and pulled the yellow from his belt for the text banner arching over his head.
Final: 11x17" ink and marker on bristol
Original: $300 + shipping
Print: $15 + shipping


TOP RIGHT: Nightwing: the Original Recipe Robin, Dick Grayson (and my personal favorite comic canon character, regardless of how badly DC screws around.) Given the acrobatic nature of the pose, I went with a flattened, almost more deco-leaning cityscape background, again in cool blues, pulling the deepest red from his costume accents for his text banner.
Final: 11x17" ink and marker on bristol
Original: $300 + shipping
Print: $15 + shipping


***

* * *

TOP LEFT: Superman. I asked for suggestions for the background for this piece, and a cityscape of Metropolis, with a visible Daily Planet, was the overwhelming response, and so, here it is! I used a series of mid-toned yellows for the deco-leaning cityscape for a sunrise-over-mirrored-buildings kind of feel. I pulled the deepest reds from his costume for the banner over his head.
Final: 11x17" ink and marker on bristol
Original: $300 + shipping
Print: $15 + shipping


TOP RIGHT: Wonder Woman. For this piece, I went with a warm-toned Themyscira background to highlight her origins. The banner uses the lightest of the red tones from her costume, so it is a few shades lighter than the reds used for Nightwing and Superman.
Final: 11x17" ink and marker on bristol
Original: $300 + shipping
Print: $15 + shipping


***

Inquiries about purchasing the originals and/or prints can be sent to silvertales[at]gmail[dot]com.

Shipping rates will vary depending on location, so a flat rate is not provided, but will be quoted upon inquiry. Originals will be shipped flat, while prints will be shipped rolled.

Up next will be the first 4 of the Marvel series: Gambit, Wolverine, Storm, and Jean Grey.

I have taken down so many character suggestions for this project, and I'll be working on this series in batches.



Shop Silvertales

Zazzle has been having a series of rather impressive sale offers on products site-wide over the last week. The latest offer is 30% off t-shirts by using code FALLSTYLES30 at checkout. Any shirt from any store in the Zazzle arrays of store is now 30% off now through September 30th!

So, check out the Gentlecephalopod:
A Perfect Gentlephalopod T-shirts
A Perfect Gentlephalopod T-shirts by silvertales
Look at more Octopus T-Shirts at zazzle

or, the Kitten Line
Kitten Line Shirt
Kitten Line Shirt by silvertales
Create one-of-a-kind custom tee shirts on zazzle.

and many more, all available in mens, womens, and kids cuts!

Shop Silvertales



Near Future

I have one more convention appearance for 2013, and that is Necronomcon in Tampa, FL October 18-20 where I will be sharing a table with the awesomely multi-talented MCA Hogarth!

Around the same time, I'll be opening up the Holiday Card Request post for this year's cards, so keep an eye out for that if you're interested in holiday cards. I'm not sure if there will be a change to the project just yet, as every year finds me paying more and more out of pocket for the surprising sudden increase in interest and requests, but I'll definitely post about it when and if I do make changes.


Well, I think that's all for this week's State of the Artist update here on Planet Kit.

I thank you for joining me again this week! Feedback is the food which fuels the creative discussion between Artist and Audience, please, feel free to comment or leave suggestions for new projects!


If you enjoy seeing posts of new or in-progress artwork, please consider a donation.

Become a patron of the arts!





Feel free to post links to this journal/community if you feel there might be interest in my artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment