Monday, June 18, 2012

State of the Artist 6/18/2012

View halloo, all!

Terribly sorry for missing last week's update! It is summer convention prep season, so things are crazy busy printing, matting, and shipping for mail-in conventions and prints, laminating, and packing for cons I'll be attending. There never seem to be enough hours in the day!

But, it is Monday, I have new art to share, so on with the post!


Weekly Words

Without this playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable.

- Carl Jung, 1875 - 1961


Current Project

So, two weeks ago, I posted the Octomer, and he got some very positive responses, which was great! I am pretty set on his design, so really, that was more of a way to see if I could get down on paper what I saw in my head.

The accompanying jellymer is a different issue... there are *so* many varieties of jellyfish, that I'm still rather up in the air on the final design elements. But, I've worked out a preliminary, and toned it in Photoshop, same as the Octomer...





While I rather like the overall concept here, I think there is something definitive missing from the design... and I think it's the stereotypical long, thin, trailing tentacles most often associated with most varieties of jellyfish.

The current jellymer is mostly based on the Mastigias papua, but I might change the design to look more like the chrysaora fuscescens... or, more likely, a combination of the two.

Hey, it's fantasy, I can do a little genetic engineering if I want to. :)

So, what do you guys think of the current jelly design?


Near Future

As stated above, there is a lot of con prep going on, and I'm honestly surprised I could even find the laptop under the stacks of prints and piles of conventions forms!

But, I'll be attending two convention in the next month:

Florida SuperCon 6/29-7/2 in Miami, FL.
Otakon 7/27-7/29 in Baltimore, MD.

Come stop by my table; say hi, buy a print, or commission some artwork! I look forward to seeing you there!

Thank you for joining me for another State of the Artist update!


If you enjoy seeing posts of new or in-progress artwork, please consider a donation.

Become a patron of the arts!





Feel free to post links to this journal/community if you feel there might be interest in my artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment