Monday, February 25, 2013

Work-a-Week 2013: Project 3

View halloo, all!

**Quick note to my Monthly Postcard Subscribers: there was an unforeseen delay in postcard production and shipping, so the cards didn't mail out until Saturday, February 23rd. To my subscribers in the US, you should have your cards no later than the end of the week. Unfortunately, for my lovely international subscribers, yours probably won't arrive until after the beginning of March.**

I'm so sorry for the delay!

For those of you interested in the Monthly Postcard Subscription Service, you can read all about it here: on the Monthly Subscription Service information page!

 

Rolling right along with the 3rd of the Work-A-Week Projects, which means there's only one more to go!

This particular piece didn't actually make the vote cut (but, oddly enough, received a great many comments,) but it was one I wanted to do anyway, so I decided to tackle it.

 

As I said, this piece didn't actually make the vote cut, in spite of being on of the images with the most comments left, but I wanted to do it anyway. This is the start of the fourth attempt at completing this piece.... I don't know what it was about this piece, but it just did *not* want to cooperate as I worked on previous attempts... but, this is 4 washes of a burnt sienna/raw umber glaze that finally came out mostly even.

I liked the toned paper quality of this sketch, in particular, and I wanted to replicate that warm surface... hence, the repeated glazes of warm browns.

***

Panda, my Quality Control Supervisor, demonstrating how he handles unsuccessful paintings... he's a pretty strict taskmaster.

***

Stage 2 is about 4 more glazes of the same burnt sienna/raw umber mix where I want shadows and depth. The hair, twigs, beak (and later, horns) get a few transparent glazes of payne's gray/ultramarine blue.

***

Color exploded all over the place at this point! It's really just red, yellow, and blue, but a lot of variations in terms of color mixes to make the specific shades and intensities of reds, yellows, and blues I wanted. :)

Let's see... reds: Alizarin crimson/cadmium red, blues: ultramarine blue/payne's gray/teeniest bits of viridian green/hooker's green/sap green, yellows: naples yellow/yellow ochre/lemon yellow.

***

... and the final product:

DONE!

Original: 9x12" mixed media $225 + shipping   Prints: 8.5x11" archival print (shipping in March) $12 + shipping

 

Next week should see the last of the official Work-A-Week Projects before getting back into the normal swing of State of the Artist updates, which should include convention appearance updates and Zazzle store updates.

 

If you enjoy seeing posts of new or in-progress artwork, please consider a donation.

Become a patron of the arts!

Feel free to post links to this journal/community if you feel there might be interest in my artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment