Monday, June 24, 2013

State of the Artist 6/24/2013

View halloo, all!

I'm sorry for the lack of State of the Artist update last week, but there wasn't really anything to post. The "new art for upcoming convention" process has been incredibly slow (read here, non-existent) and I just haven't been able to produce anything I've been happy enough to try an finish up. So, unfortunately, it looks like there won't be anything new for Florida SuperCon, and hopefully, I can kick this lull soon... not drawing or painting or doing *something* almost feels like my skin is two sizes too small... it's a strange, uncomfortable feeling.

But, it's Monday, and I've got a few random doodles, so I thought I'd post an update!


Weekly Words

Courtesy is the one coin you can never have too much of or be stingy with.
- John Wanamaker, 1838 - 1922


In this rapid-paced, digital packet transfer world, I think we often forget there are real people behind the avatars and pseudonyms on the internet; real people who reach out, who share, who hope to connect. It takes a few moments our of our day to respond, to connect, to acknowledge, and yet so many of us choose not to do so.


Current Project

As I'd said in an earlier State of the Artist update, I had hoped to be busy producing new artwork for the upcoming Florida SuperCon over 4th of July weekend... unfortunately, that has not come to pass. But, while there hasn't been any new artwork-to-be-finished, there were a couple of random doodles.



Afric is an old character that never quite went anywhere. He's been hanging around for a long time, and when my friend (MCA Hogarth) sent me a picture of the original doodle she'd found from years ago and suggested I redraw him, I thought it was a great idea!

* * *



A random doodle I started that had no real direction, and as a result, didn't really GO anywhere. she's just kind of... there.



Near Future


As mentioned, Florida SuperCon is coming up over 4th of July weekend in Miami, FL, and I'll have a table in the Artist Alley all four days. If you'll be attending, come by and say hi, buy a print, or commission an original!

I've got two big commission projects in the near future, and they're making me a bit nervous sitting there waiting to be tackled, but they're both great projects that I"m very excited about and I hope to say more about them soon!


Sorry about the short and sweet update this week, everyone! If you have any recommendations for things you'd like to see in upcoming State of the Artist updates, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Afric looks neat! *hugs* I wish you lots of visitors and commissioners at SuperCon :)

    Loved the postcard this month too! --t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, T! Afric is such an old character that has been bopping around, hanging out in obscurity, so I was surprised to even see him brought back up again! :)

      Thanks! Hopefully, this will be a good con as I'm pretty disappointed in missing out on Otakon this year.

      Yay! Glad it arrived quickly and in one peice! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Toivo! She's like a lot of random characters, she just kind of shows up! :)

      Delete