Monday, May 20, 2013

State of the Artist 5/20/2013

View halloo, all!

A State of the Artist update back to (a rather stormy, soggy) Monday, small miracles, right? So, here we go...



Weekly Words

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.
- William James, 1842 - 1910


Whoooo, yes. There is nothing quite so exhausting as knowing there is an unfinished task hanging out there, waiting to be finished, taunting you with it's incompleteness. And, they do that... taunt you. They whisper at you, constantly chattering in the back of your mind... ok, maybe that's just me. O.o



Current Project

I currently have an abstract acrylic canvas waiting for me on my kitchen table (easier to work there than the extremely humid garage, where I usually work, which effects drying time and paint reaction,) but I also realized I had yet to post the results of working on a piece from the 2011 Sketch-A-Day Project, my anglermerman!

Back in 2011, during the Sketch-A-Day Project, before I switched over to toned paper, I doodled out this guy:


... and was rather pleased with his design concept. So, I decided he needed to be finished! In classic Kit-style, it took me forever to actually get around to it.

I honestly thought I had taken in-progress photos while I was working on this image, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. But, the finished product:



I'm pretty happy with him and his tiny jellyfish companion. Yes, I know only the female angler fish have the bio-luminescent antenna atop their heads, but, I took a little (ok, a lot) or artistic license... it's fantasy, just go with it. :)

The original for the Anglermer and his jelly-companion, "De Abyssus," is A4 completed in ink and marker, and is available for sale for $250USD plus $10USD for domestic shipping or $15USD for international shipping. If you're interested in the original piece, please contact me at silvertales[at]gmail[dot]com. Installment plans and other payment options are welcome!



Monthly Postcard Project

The domestic US subscribers should have already received their postcards (I've heard from a few of you that they arrived, thank you!) and the international subscribers should get theirs by the end of the week (fingers crossed) and I'm behind in my posting schedule of the monthly postcards! Here's the March 2013 postcard:



The "Flying Lesson" postcard original measures 6x8" and is completed on Strathmore Toned Tan drawing paper with ink, marker, and colored pencil.

The original is $35USD, plus $6USD for domestic US shipping or $10USD for international shipping. If you're interested in the original piece, please contact me at silvertales[at]gmail[dot]com.

If you'd like to see new and exclusive original art postcards in your mailbox every month, or would like more information on the project, please read about it HERE!



Near Future

I have an abstract acrylic painting on my kitchen table well on it's way to being completed, so that should show up in next week's State of the Artist.

I have another, smaller illustration commission on deck, so I'm working on that, as well.

I hope to open up Moleskine cover commissions again if there is interest. So, if you enjoyed the previous Moleskine cover commissions and are interested in one of your own or perhaps commissioning one as a gift, please let me know in the comments!


Thank you for joining me for another State of the Artist update!! Feedback is the food which fuels the creative discussion between Artist and Audience, please, feel free to comment or leave suggestions for new projects!


If you enjoy seeing posts of new or in-progress artwork, please consider a donation.

Become a patron of the arts!





Feel free to post links to this journal/community if you feel there might be interest in my artwork!

2 comments: