Monday, December 23, 2013

State of the Artist 12/23/2013

View halloo!!

Christmas is almost upon us, as is the end of the year, and what a year it's been! Personally, I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to 2013, and welcoming the new opportunities of 2014.



Weekly Words

You can't help getting older but you don't have to get old.
- George Burns, 1896 - 1996

As we see the passing of another year, it's important to remember that, while things may be tough, we're only as old as we feel, and there is always something of joy and wonder to be found. I'll admit, this is a challenge for me, but certainly something to pin up somewhere I can look at it every day and strive to find the positive, no matter how dark, gloomy, depressing, or hopeless things may seem.



Current Project

The Current Project on my plate is holiday preparation! Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, or Noche Buena. In our house we celebrate Christmas with both Cuban and English traditions. So, in effect, we get Christmas twice... and the food is definitely the best thing about it! Christmas Even is celebrated with Cuban roast pork, black beans and rice, fried yucca and plantains, and either a flan or rice pudding. Christmas Day is celebrated in the English fashion (although we skip the goose... not easy to get in Miami, you know. ;) with standing rib roast or lamb, roast potatoes, and Yorkshire puddings, which, I have to say, I've actually gotten pretty good at! Dessert is apple pie, since no one makes trifle like my Nana used to, so we don't even try.

That said, I've only got one doodle for you this week, just something random, as I'm also getting ready for commissions, a new year of the Monthly Postcard Project, and the launch of the 2014 Sketch-A-Day Project!





Monthly Postcard Project

The 2013 Monthly Postcard Project started out as a 12 month experiment, just to see if I could do it, and if people enjoyed the project. The response was enthusiastic and had such a good time exploring the possibilities and just having fun with how random the project could be, I'll be doing it again for 2014.

The goal of the project is to put original and random art postcards in people's mailboxes, wherever they may live to make sifting through bills and junk mail just that little bit more rewarding. I don't know about anyone else, but when I get random letters or postcards sandwiched between my monthly bills or junk mail, it always puts a smile on my face.

If you'd like more information regarding the Monthly Postcard Project, to sign up (there are 12, 6, and 3 month domestic US and international subscription options) or to give a subscription as a gift, please check out the info page: HERE!



Near Future

As mentioned above, I'll be launching the 2014 Sketch-A-Day Project come January 1st, and I'd love to hear your suggestions! I've got 31 days to fill, so if there are themes you'd like to see, please go ahead and leave your suggestions in a reply!

I've got two commissions on my plate for the beginning of the year, along with new, personal pieces, and the next 4 pieces in the Comic Nouveau series to get done... hopefully, all before my first convention appearing in mid-March.

Well, I think that's all for this week's State of the Artist update here on Planet Kit.

I thank you for joining me again this week! Feedback is the food which fuels the creative discussion between Artist and Audience, please, feel free to comment or leave suggestions for new projects!


If you enjoy seeing posts of new or in-progress artwork, please consider a donation.

Become a patron of the arts!





Feel free to post links to this journal/community if you feel there might be interest in my artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment