Monday, March 10, 2014

State of the Artist 3/10/2014

I suppose, due to the mixed content nature of the posts, I'm technically launching the State of the Artist series for 2014 now....

View halloo, all!!

I *think* I'm caught up with everything now... maybe? I've reposted Work-A-Week #2 for this post because I've included the handful of WIP pics I remembered to take for this painting. I'm also including the previous week's Daily Doodle sketches. If you'd like to see these as they're completed every day, please Like my Facebook Page (HERE or search for Silvertales Studio in Facebook's search bar) or follow my Twitter feed (@silvertales) as I upload them there daily.



Work-A-Week 2014 Project


Work-A-Week 2 (Day 28)
I do have a few WIP pics for this piece, and the finished piece will follow.



This is my set up in the kitchen. Unlike my usual set up in the dining room, the light is directly overhead in the kitchen, so the light is a lot better here. The photocopy seen just off to the right is actually for the nebula painting and is the only WIP pic I remembered to take. >.<



* * *



Toning the ground with a wash of Ultramarine Blue and Payne's Gray, building up where I know I'm going to want darker concentrations later: storm clouds, piles of bodies, etc, and keeping it light in the center, where it will "shine" down on the figure.

* * *



More build up, putting in the tower on the left, and adding a little texture to the rise it sits on.

* * *



Starting the underpainting for the figure, putting in the shadows in the same Ultramarine Blue and Payne's Gray mix to keep the shadows consistent with the mood of the rest of the painting.

* * *



The final refining of the darks I want in the storm clouds, bodies, figure and drapery. This was the last step before the little bits of color I added. I wanted this piece to have a very monochromatic feel with a very subtle skin tone, leaving just the deep reds of the banner to pop.

* * *



Original Painting: $300
11x17" Watercolor

This piece was also enlarged to 11x17 from the original 9x12" drawing and is completed entirely in watercolor, mostly Ultramarine blue, Payne's Gray, and a *tiny* bit of Burnt Umber. This is one of those concept images that keeps coming back to me, expanded and slightly different every time. While I do like this execution, I am sure I'll revisit it at least a few more times until I'm confident that I've gotten the concept behind the image to say what I want it to.




Daily Doodle Batch #3:

This batch upload consists of the images from 3/1/14-3/9/14, next week's update should be back on schedule for the Daily Doodle batch uploads. *crosses fingers*

This past Saturday was my birthday, and it wasn't the best day ever, so the March 8/Day 67 doodle is a bit depressing...


*

*

*

*

* *



Monthly Postcard Project

The January original for the Monthly Postcard Project is now available for purchase to the general public!



January's original measures 5x8" and is ink, marker, and white conte crayon on Toned Tan drawing paper. It's $20USD plus $4/$8 USD shipping domestic/international. If interested, please email silvertales[at]gmail[dot]com using "January Postcard Original" in the subject line!



Near Future

Aside from continuing the Daily Doodles Project and finishing up the Work-a-Week 2014 Project posts, the Near Future sees my first convention of 2014!

MegaCon Orlando, FL / March 21-23

I will be at an Artist Alley table all weekend with prints and originals, and taking commissions, so come on by!!



If you have any questions or comments about any of the Daily Doodles, please leave them in the comments below, I'd be happy to answer any questions!! As the Daily Doodles Project is continuing throughout 2014, please feel free to leave prompts or suggestions, there are so many more days to go!! :)


I thank you for joining me again this week! Feedback is the food which fuels the creative discussion between Artist and Audience, please, feel free to comment or leave suggestions for new projects!


If you enjoy seeing posts of new or in-progress artwork, please consider a donation.

Become a patron of the arts!





Feel free to post links to this journal/community if you feel there might be interest in my artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment