Monday, March 17, 2014

State of the Artist: 3/17/2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

View halloo, all!!

This week's update sees the third Work-a-Week Project painting, and the last week's Daily Doodle sketches. If you'd like to see these as they're completed every day, please Like my Facebook Page (HERE or search for Silvertales Studio in Facebook's search bar) or follow my Twitter feed (@silvertales) as I upload them there daily.

Just a head's up, next week's update may be delayed as Monday, the 24th is a travel day for me. I'll be heading back home after MegaCon this coming weekend, and so probably won't have all my sketches uploaded in time to update on Monday. I'll also try to include something of a con report for MegaCon!



Work-A-Week 2014 Project


Work-A-Week 3 (Day 9)
I do have a few WIP pics for this piece, and the finished piece will follow. Day 9 and Day 21 (The Nebula Dress) tied for the most requested sketches to be completed this year. It took me a while to get around to this one, as it was both an emotionally draining piece and I have a tendency to overthink the practical process of just *how* I'm going to complete a painting... thereby, usually making any painting project more difficult that it actually has to be. >.< * * *

Toning the ground with washes of Ultramarine Blue and Payne's Gray, building up where I'm going to put the writhing shadow mass of ugliness bearing down on the figure in the forefront. I originally tried using liquid frisket for all the areas I wanted clean and sharp (the eyes and mouths) but, what I had ended up eating away at the paper, so I simply did my best to paint around those areas, leaving the paper as close to untouched as possible.

For the shadow mass, I'm working wet-on-wet to get as much blurred-edge bleed as I can. This is 3 passes, I think, of the Ultramarine Blue/Payne's Gray mixture.

(I went through a LOT of Ultramarine Blue and Payne's Gray during this year's project!)

* * *



More build up, another 3 or 4 passes, and starting to include the defining shadows on the figure, using the same Ultramarine Blue/Payne's Gray mix to keep everything feeling cohesive.

* * *



The finishing passes of the blue and gray washes, along with some more intense blue/gray mix for definition around the eyes and sharpening up the mouths/fangs. Added some white acrylic paint here, too, for definition. Also laying down a few washes of color for the figure in the front.

* * *



Original Painting: $300
11x17" Watercolor, marker

Like the other two pieces completed this year, the sketch was enlarged from 9x12" to 11x14" and then slightly altered to work at 11x17" to take advantage of having the shadow mass looming over the girl in the front. I've become quite enamored of the 11x17" format ever since completing the first 4 pieces of the Comic Nouveau Project last year. (There WILL be more, promise!)

A few light passes of Copic marker were applied over the figure in the foreground, just to sharpen her up and smooth out the llight tones I had been working with. Watercolor paper sucks up alcohol-based pigment like *crazy!*



Daily Doodle Batch #4:

This batch upload consists of the images from 3/10/14-3/16/14, which now puts me right on schedule.

*

*

*



Why, yes, I AM doodling a lot of LOTR/Tolkien-related doodles.... why do you ask? :)

In my personal headcanon, since Tolkien didn't really give us a lot to work with when it comes to the House of Oropher (Thranduil's father and Legolas' grandfather,) I choose to believe Thranduil is a rather doting dad who, while he can be fearsome to the outside world, is basically a giant, indulgent, soft-hearted, gooey-centered marshmallow when it comes to his son... particularly when he's tiny and adorable and precocious. :)


Monthly Postcard Project

March's postcard mails out today!




If you have any questions or comments about any of the Daily Doodles, please leave them in the comments below, I'd be happy to answer any questions!! As the Daily Doodles Project is continuing throughout 2014, please feel free to leave prompts or suggestions, there are so many more days to go!! :)


I thank you for joining me again this week! Feedback is the food which fuels the creative discussion between Artist and Audience, please, feel free to comment or leave suggestions for new projects!


If you enjoy seeing posts of new or in-progress artwork, please consider a donation.

Become a patron of the arts!





Feel free to post links to this journal/community if you feel there might be interest in my artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment